placeholder image


June 2019


Django,Python,HTML, Google Maps API

This two week self-directed project is called Safe Travels. Safe Travels is a user directed travel review website. This site allows users to create travel logs for their onw self reflection and to help others plan trip in the future.

View the project

Access the GitHub Repo

Safe Travels is my passion project from CodeCrew Coding School. A passion project is a self directed project based around a topic that we are interested in and using a framework or stack that we are comfortable with. I chose to build and website centered around travel using the Django framework. I made a project in March using Django that I really enjoyed so I decided to use tat framework again. I have a passion for travel and have taken several trips in the US and Europe.

This project was both challenging and exciting. The main functionality of the site is to view travel logs created by users and create your own. Your travel logs can be viewed from your profile as well as a map with all of your destinations. Destination for all users can be viewed from the home page and travel logs can be searched.

The Safe Travels Profile Page shows a users travel logs, destinations, and gives them the option to add a log. Each profile page renders a map from the google maps api with the destinations of the users travel logs marked on the map. This is a fun and interactive way to keep up with where you have been.

Each travel log has a details page that is accessed by clicking on the name of the destination. If the logged in user created the travel log they have the access to edit and delete that log. Otherwise a user can simply view the log information. Each log has the author of the log, the date of the trip, a summary of the author's experience, ratings of the destination and an optional image.

The most complicated part of this project was the search. When a location is searched from the home page the result of that location from the google maps api and the sql database. Making a search request and rendering the results required me to make a request through the python client to the google maps api then parsed the returned json data and render it as a marker.